_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Marcy home Walvis Bay Angling Club club AFASyn Ushuaia Marcy and crew

Monday, April 05, 2010

Northbound in the Pacific

We made our escape from Puerto Ingles, but not without drama. We were planning to haul anchor and get under way at the evening slack water. Our friends on Vlakvark, also at anchor waiting to leave, called and called on VHF radio for updates on the port status with the same answer each time - that when the new forecast was published at 8PM we might expect a change in the status of the port. Vlakvark heard another sailboat on the VHF radio and hailed them as they sailed past the lighthouse on their way to sea. When queried as to why it was safe for one sailboat to continue on to sea while two others were forced to wait they said only that the other sailboat had received permission to leave from another port. Of course, peer pressure works all over the world and within a few minutes the port was miraculously opened. We were free to leave as of 4PM. BUT, the timing was as awkward as it could be. We didn't want to wait in case they changed their minds so we hauled anchor and left at maximum ebb tide. When the eight knots of ebb current met the four meter waves coming in from the sea it caused the steepest most confused seas we ever want to face. To further complicate things we had been eating as if we were staying for a few more hours so with full queasy stomachs we bashed five miles out to sea and finally were able to head north with the wind on our beam and the large seas on our quarter. The wind lasted all the way north to Juan Fernandez Island and the seas kept up with the wind as waves tend to do. Our stomachs finally adjusted to the motion about 36 hours into the trip. We left Puerto Ingles with the beginnings of colds and our stuffed heads made the demands of going to sea even greater. Keeping up with sail handling, watches, radio check ins, sleep and eating was all we could accomplish. There were a few minor items requiring immediate attention like a loose lashing on a diesel jerry can and some noises coming from inside the dinghy (not a stowaway, just the gas can) and worst of all was the bottle of red wine that was tossed across the cabin on a particularly boisterous wave. The wine was mopped up, the bumping noises were quieted and we recovered our sea legs and settled in to our routine. Each day brings slightly warmer weather. Our jib had developed a big rip so when we have calmer seas we will drop it and put up our old sail. There was a low pressure system forecast to bring near gale force winds from the north across our path so we are heading due north to get away from that danger and as we get further north we are enjoying the calmer seas that go along with lighter winds. We have just crossed the south equivilent latitude that would take us from California into Mexico if we were on the reciprocal heading in North latitudes so we're considering a quesadilla and guacamole celebration lunch.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com



At 6:16 AM, Blogger valiam said...

hi you2! Great to read your logs and see your wonderful photos of Patagonia. Very inspiring. HOpefully it will be us in the near future.Cheers!
Linda and Bill
SV Valiam


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home