_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Marcy home Walvis Bay Angling Club club AFASyn Ushuaia Marcy and crew

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Estancia Harberton

Estancia Harberton arrived

Upon arrival at Harberton we launched the dinghy and went ashore to arrange a ride to town. We received a warm welcome from Tommy Goodall and his daughter Abby and family. We were even invited to stay for dinner. With great company ashore and no fresh food left on the boat we didn't hesitate to accept. We were back at the boat before sunset, 10PM, and enjoyed a quiet night at anchor. The next morning we were up early. Peter had to cut a hole in the bulkhead to remove the exhaust mixing elbow from under the engine and was ready to go by mid morning. We packed our empty cooking gas bottle, and a small overnight bag and went ashore. The Piratour bus which brings people to see the penguins near Harberton had two seats available and they were kind enough to give us a lift for the two hour ride into town. With the dinghy stowed ashore and a last glance toward Marcy we were off.

Harberton estancia 1

Our time in town was well spent. As we arrived on Friday afternoon we were anxious to find a person to repair the boat part first. We found a welder, Sr. Castro, who was willing to take on the task and left our old part in his capable hands. With a hostel room for the night (showers and wifi too!) we visited the yacht club to inquire about a mailing address for some cables to connect our radio. By the time Lisa arrived we had a few groceries and a full gas bottle and were ready for our return to the boat.

We didn't recognize Lisa when she got to baggage claim. She had to wave at us several times before we realized that cute woman with short hair was someone we knew!

Lisa arrives Ushuaia

Sunday morning we got a taxi to take us back to the boat. What a relief to find Marcy safe and sound at anchor.

Marcy at Harberton

L n G return

We still had a few issues aboard making life a bit more like camping than home. With no motor we couldn't make water so we had to ration fresh water until Ushuaia. We still had no galley sink drain. It's amazing how many times a sink drain is used in the course of a day. But most importantly we were out of fuel and the boat was cold. Our last gallons of diesel were transferred into our heater tank when we arrived at Harberton. Andreas from the Piratour company was kind enough to bring more fuel for us on Monday morning and we wasted no time putting Lisa to work. We had to bleed the fuel line to fill the heater tank.

bleeding the fuel take 1

It was a messy job involving Peter sucking on his end of the diesel hose, Ginger blowing into the tank to pressurize it and Lisa turning the pump on and off to get the line clear. Finally, with heat in the boat we were able to turn our attention to exploring the area.

Harberton estancia 2

We walked out the road and over to the next bay to look for another boat we knew to be in the area.

L P n G Harberton

P n G at Harberton . tree moss

Harberton road

In addition to the incredible scenery we were impressed by the wildlife at every turn.

Harberton fox

Harberton raptor

The old road used by the family before the new road was built is a bit rough now.

P n L old bridge

We had time to explore the farm

Estancia Harberton 4
Peter examines the old English yacht . Harberton railway

and the Acatushun Museum also on the property.

Acatushun Museum

The boat jobs continued and Lisa was hauled up the mast to change out the telltales.

Lisa installs new telltales

We made oatmeal cookies with our last butter to thank everyone ashore for all their help.

thank you cookies

Our communication with our welder Sr. Castro wasn't quite good enough to figure out how to get our engine part back to Harberton. Ana, also from Harberton and Piratour, was kind enough to pick it up in town and deliver it to us at the boat. We felt very fortunate for all of Ana's help and hospitality.

Old elbow new elbow

With the elbow installed and the boat just about ready to move Abby invited us for a hike with two of her kids.

Thomas Abby Lisa Ana G n P

We set off across the fields and along the way Abby pointed out all the necessary plants for survival in the wilderness here.

Peter with Patagonian carrot . edible flowers

The spring melt had the rivers and creeks at full flood

spring melt

and the water table high.

Patagonia marsh

On our trip back there was a commando race to the car and many laughs shared by all

scramble home

funny moment

We stopped to inspect an old plane wreck and hear the story of the crash. We were impressed to hear that the pilot and passenger though both severely injured survived for 3 days in the snow after the crash before rescue. Frontier living is tough!

old plane crash

Too soon it was time to say goodbye to Harberton,Tommy and his family.

L P n Tommy

With luck we'll return some day soon.

Patagonia flower



At 2:57 PM, Blogger Baloo said...

Nice elbow. Bet it's nice to have that in! Flames loose in the engine room are never good.


Post a Comment

<< Home